1) Prince Edward County: Microtrend alert! The Drake Devonshire joins the ranks of downtown restaurants colonizing cottage country. Reservation requests are available from September onwards.
2) West Queen West: Smoque N Bones, Queen West's newest BBQ joint, is now open at 869 Queen Street W. The former Gino's Pizza has been gutted to expose its original brick and refitted with high-tops piled high with barbecued pork ribs and smoked pork butts, creamy coleslaw, and collard greens. The bar boasts over fifty bourbons, a generous cocktail menu, and homemade anise-spiked lemonade. And the best news? Owner Alex Rad is planning a picnic-style takeout service, allowing diners to enjoy their meals in nearby Bellwoods Park. Unfortunately outdoor diners will have to pass on the liquor.
3) West Queen West: NAM sandwich shop takes over the former Parkette location at 874 Queen St. W. The park-side location is perfect for their take-out-ready banh mi sandwiches — filings include five-spice pork belly, lemongrass grilled chicken, and coconut meatball — and simple sides such as "nam" slaw and yam fries.
4) Queen West: Vittorio Colacitti, fourth runner-up on the latest (and last) season of Top Chef Canada, serves what he calls "Toronto" cuisine at his new venture at 1096 Queen St. In this case, "Toronto" seems to be a stand-in for "multicultural" as the menu at The Good Son has a diverse range of influences— Jamaican jerk shrimp, French steak tartare, and the presumably American decadence of a 32-ounce steak topped with a whole lobster. Reservations are available online.
5) West Queen West: Sweet Olenka's ice cream and sweets pop-up takes the space formerly home to the Knit Cafe, at 1050 Queen West. The single-batch ice cream maker will be selling her goodies for the summer, a perfect after-dinner treat adding to the flourishing food culture of Trinity-Bellwoods park.
6) Queen West: Once the site of hot-dog price wars in the mid 2000s, could Queen & Spadina next be the site of ramen wars? Kinton Ramen opens its doors just down the street from the equally-new location of fellow noodle chain Kenzo Ramen. Now soft open, Kinton 3 will start serving all day at 402 Queen St. starting tomorrow, June 14, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and will serve a menu similar to the other two locations.
7) Yorkville: Now open in its new location at Windsor Arms Hotel is Ici Bistro. The restaurant relocated from the corner of Manning and Harbord this spring; not much has changed besides an increase in the amount of seating.
—Laura Louise Tobin
· All Opening Report Coverage [-ETO-]